Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Notable Quotables (in their own words)

“This is the part of my speech where I share some inspirational quotes I found on Google: ‘Don’t just get involved. Fight for your seat at the table. Better yet, fight for a seat at the head of the table.’ — Donald J. Trump.”—Ben Bowling, valedictorian of Bell County High School in Louisville, Kentucky, as the crowd burst into enthusiastic applause and cheers.
“Just kidding. That was Barack Obama.”—Ben Bowling, in the very next sentence, as the crowd immediately fell into sudden utter silence.
Sorry, folks. I just had to throw that in to illustrate the way in which a high school senior was able to prove that the pack mentality so typical of Trump devotees renders it impossible for them to think for themselves or to see through the shallow culture of idiocy and hypocrisy this POTUS personifies. In other words: tell ’em Trump said it and it’s the gospel carved in stone, no questions asked. Tell ’em Obama said it and it automatically stinks up the place, i.e. “fake news.” And we call ourselves civilized, intelligent beings…
Advertisements

22 Responses

1. on June 3, 2018 at 9:09 pm | Reply Stephen Winham

An excellent illustration of why there is no common ground upon which we can unite. Let’s hope there will be sometime soon before we fly apart completely.

2. Perfect example of the sort of thing I see and hear almost daily.

3. on June 4, 2018 at 9:30 am | Reply Edith Herring

I have noticed, while reading op-ed opinions from several Louisiana news papers, there seems to be a group that only reply to opinion pieced with the same opinions: Trump can do no wrong, “libtards”/linerals/Democrats are despicable and to blame for all American ills. They get more abusive, if challenged. Is this their form of entertainment or are they really this blindly loyal? In either case, there is no reasonable dialogue with these folks

4. You should have heard Steve Scalise talk at the LSU graduation ceremony a few weeks ago — a load of vacuous cliches intended for those who have drunk too much purple and gold kool-aid.

5. Wow, it’s obvious we only see and hear what we want to see and hear. Do none of you remember the swooning and fainting Obama fans? The staged back drops and obviously planted adoring fans. Do you not remember the Nazi dressed children marching and chanting an ode to Obama? The kool aid drinking is done by both conservatives and liberals, not just by the one group you disagree with.

• on June 4, 2018 at 12:19 pm | Reply Stephen Winham

Gee, I must have dementia because I don’t remember any of these things.

I have a new rule: I believe what I actually see/hear. Everything else is suspect along a continuum based on the sources and the concrete evidence they provide.

• Now I’m going to have to call B.S. on that. C’mon, Nazi dressed children chanting an ode to Obama? Seems to me they’d be chanting the ode to Trump. You’re going to have send us the link to that in order for me to believe it. Yes, Obama had staged backdrops. Of course. All presidents do. They appear only before “obviously planted adoring fans.” It’s call screening. Dems. and Reps. are equally adept at controlled images and I think we can agree it’s all meaningless window dressing and not even good theater. We all know that. But c’mon, Nazi dressed children? No one is that stupid, not even Trump who regrettably, is pretty stupid—and please don’t pull up the high IQ crap. You can have a high IQ and still know little of the real world.

Nazi dressed children chanting odes to Obama? Pshaw.

• What are you talking about? Nazi kids? Really?

6. on June 4, 2018 at 3:08 pm | Reply Angelo Maggio

And I still haven’t seen any proof of the “Nazi kids.”

7. Oh, wow. You’ve got me. Except….except…except I don’t see the word “Nazi” anywhere in the story–except for some idiot’s reference to Hitler youth. But I have to admit the kids chanting, “I aspire to be the next doctor,” “I aspire to be the next lawyer,” and “Yes, we can” (as opposed to “Make America Great Again”?) sure sounds subversive to me. True, they were wearing uniforms, but look around you, bright boy. All the schools today require uniforms. And what were the white supremacists chanting at Charlottesville? Oh, yeah, I remember. “Unite the Right” and “blood and soil” (a KKK slogan, by the way, more akin to Nazism than “Yes we can”).

Good god, you people are pitiful. If this is the best you can come up with, then I truly pity you. You are too shallow and too bigoted to participate in any intelligent dialog.

But hey, I’m willing to bet that you belong to some evangelical Protestant church that preaches Christianity based on love and understanding and kindness and humility.

8. on June 4, 2018 at 5:07 pm | Reply Stephen Winham

Following this thread I can only repeat my initial comment which is fully supported by this debate.

• I’m sorry for your dementia and to set the record straight, Kool Aid is innocent because Flavor Aid was the drink mix used by Jim Jones. And unfortunately history repeats itself because some people only believe what they see and hear when only looking and listening to news/propaganda without discerning truth and fiction.

• No one really wants to know this much about Jonestown, but it was a mixture of Kool-Aid and Flavor Aid. When these things become sayings, though, they tend to get simplified.

• on June 5, 2018 at 12:10 pm Stephen Winham

I fully agree with your last sentence.

9. Tom, do you really think if the speaker had been speaking in an area that had voted 80% for Obama (instead of for Trump), and he had reversed the attribution of the quote, the audience wouldn’t have reacted the exact same way?

Let’s face it, we’re a nation of sheep. Almost no one thinks for himself or herself.

10. “My accomplishments as Secretary of State? Well, I’m glad you asked! My proudest accomplishment in which I take the most pride, mostly because of the opposition it faced early on, you know… the remnants of prior situations and mindsets that were too narrowly focused in a manner whereby they may have overlooked the bigger picture and we didn’t do that and I’m proud of that. Very proud. I would say that’s a major accomplishment.”

Hillary Rodham Clinton